Friday, September 16, 2005
- 6:15 pm - Drove to school, found on street parking. Double-checked the meter - yep, it stops at 5 pm. Since it was 7 pm by this point, I was all set. Lucky me, off to Accounting for Lawyers. Study business decisions. Yeah, that helped my mood a lot.
- 9:05 pm - Return to car and find bright orange Boston parking ticket on the windshield. Apparently that strip of meters converts to Resident Permit Parking from 5pm-9pm. $40 due within three weeks. Time ticket written: 8:54 pm. Eleven fucking minutes later, and I would have been gone.
- 9:06 pm - Answer cell phone call from the lone survivor of my department. Learn that the monthly Uber Department meeting (my ex-boss is in charge of three departments, and she gathers them all together once a month) yesterday afternoon was rather heated, to say the least. The ex-boss didn't have any say in the layoffs - she didn't even know they were coming until an hour before the fact. But she's the boss, so she has to sit and listen to the screaming. The ex-colleague said he was surprised no one knocked on the conference room door to make sure no one was being injured.
- 8:00 am - Reduced Netflix movie subscription. Goes into effect 9/24.
- 8:45 am - Learned of 3 recent breakins and 1 attempt in my neighborhood. Chatted with the trashy neighbors for a while. Since I'm unemployed and was standing on the stoop in my loungewear, eyeglasses and semi-bedhead, I guess I'm fitting right in.
- 11:00 am - Learned from The Guyfriend that the mood at the office is rather ugly. He had the unenviable job yesterday of pulling the victims' network cards while they were each being axed. Fortunately he had arrived late to work, so he didn't know about the situation until after I was already out of the building. It would have killed him to know before I did and not say anything. And to have to dismantle my computer while I was getting my walking papers? Oof. Instead, I called him from the parking lot and he went with me to Starbucks for a cooling-off latte.
- 11:30 am - Arranged with my now-ex-boss (she called to apologize once more) to meet Tuesday 8 am for the packing up of the cube.
- 3:00 pm - Called unemployment. Must call back on October 3rd (yes, the first Monday in October), the first date on which I am officially off payroll.
Posted by Beth Henderson at 5:19 PM