Friday, December 09, 2005

Weather Woes 

Given that today is my last business day of being unemployed, I made an appointment for a haircut with our new favorite stylist. Unfortunately, she's all the way up in Gloucester, about 30 miles away. Plus, we've got a whopper snowstorm hitting us today. Not just snow, but periodically changing to pouring rain here and there. I also had to go into school to drop off some stuff at the business offices, so I got to go exactly here and there.

Shoveled about 2 inches off the driveway before I left, then headed out in the snow. As I got further north, it changed to rain, which was much better. The problem was that there was lots of slush on the edges of the lane, which more than once tried to grab my tires and wrench me off the highway. But at last I made it up north, and got a fabulous haircut for my first day on the job Monday.

When I got out (oh, and by the way, now apparently we're also being joined by a thunderstorm, while the snow is coming across - it's blowing sideways - so furiously that I can't see across the street), it was raining pretty hard in Gloucester. But also by that point the highway was clear of snow, since it had all melted. I had to swing by The Girl's office to pick up some stuff she photocopied for me, so I continued down 128 beyond 93, around where I usually would have exited onto Washington St. in Woburn. At that exact point, it switched back to horrific snow - could barely see!

Got the papers, suggested she get out of work early if possible, and continued to the Mass Pike. As soon as I headed east on the Pike from 128, it switched to rain again. This was good for driving, but not so good for the three blocks I had to walk from where I found a spot on Charles Street to the offices on Church Street. I ran in my hiking boots, jeans, midlength wool coat and no hat, very glad I had put all the papers in a protective brown envelope, and by the time I got there I was drenched. A cold drench at that.

Drop off, chat, drop off at another office, chat, then back through the pouring rain. By the time I was unlocking my car, there was definite wet snow in the air. By the time I got to 93 North, it was snowing pretty much as it is now. I passed several accidents over the course of the day.

When I got home I parked the Jeep in the street and shoveled the driveway and walks all over again. By the time I finished, it was covering over again, so I gave up, pulled the Jeep in and ran inside. I also noted today that the dashboard light that tells me when I have the four wheel drive engaged isn't working. I think the four wheel drive is working, just not the light.

Winter. Uck. Give me early autumn anytime.

Posted by Beth Henderson at 2:39 PM